This project is read-only.

Are you still working at this project?

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Hey,

i think this is a nice project.  Thanks for that. Will you work on it further more? I'm especialy interested in using it with the Container Model and with controls instead of forms.

Will you fix the back and forward problem soon?

Kind regards svbirdy

Dec 23, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Yes, the Mobile MVC is currently been used on one the biggest mobility projects with the customer.

What exactly are interested about in usage with the Container Model? I think my sample shows you a few ways you can use it.

And I have just updated the code to fix the back and forward problems.

Thanks... Alex

Dec 27, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Hey Alex,

thank you for updating your project.

I would prefer using usercontrols instead of forms similar as MFelico wrote.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a base form with a panel and in that switching between the controls?

In the application I'm currently deloping i have some UserControls which are used for showing and editing many different data. (For example a ListControl, DetailList, an Input form for numbers and so on) So these UserControls will be called by multiple Controllers. I'm thinking of initializing these UserControls at starting the application, moving them out of the shown area (instead of hiding. Sould be faster?) and then switching between them.

I think the user navigation should be fast, when only switching between the controls. The memory consumption shouldn't be so strong. What do you think about this approach?

svbirdy

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Using a single form - multiple panels/user controls that become visible or moved into a view has been a valid techinique when creating mobile applications.  And bringing the panels into a view would be much faster than navigating to a different form.

However this technique should be used approprietly and few important things should be taken into consideration.  First of all, a multiple controls and all associated umnanaged recources (window handles, message pumps, graphic contexts etc...) would be created. Eeach would take device's memory and processor cycles plus the data required to populate the contols. So you should always measure how your application would be affecting the performance of the device or how it would behave in a more memory constrained scenarios.

Secondly, this techinque could affect the load time of your form when it's shown the first time. You may need to show a splash screen to a user to make him/her know that something is happening.

Thirdly, the maintainability of a single form - multiple panels application is somewhat worse than a multiple form one since a lot of your UI look depends on the positioning of the each of the panel and you will also have a lot of UI related code in one class module.

But if your application consists of a few views and there's not a lot of data associated with it, you should be able to use this technique. The Mobile MVC should be able to support this. I'll try to come up with a sample soon.

Thanks... Alex

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Concerning memory consumption: In the MVCTestClientContainer you just hide the views when navigating. The benefit is, that the second time a view is shown it doesn't have to be created again.

But what do you think about implementing an flexible choice if the view you navigate will be hide or closed?

Thanks so far for your work...